Thursday, June 11, 2009

Well, I think it's time to start blogging. Kurtis and I have been married for nearly 6 years. I teach elementary school and Kurtis is a research engineer at Boeing. Kurtis serves in the ward bishopric. I am the ward YW camp director this year. Can you guess who is busier?
I only have 3 more in-school days left. Students have no idea just how excited teachers are about summer break. I have a lot of plans for the summer and I'm looking forward to enjoying every minute of every day. Kurt will tell you that I am a lot nicer in the summer than when school is in session. I've told him that anytime he's ready to have me stop working I'll be happy to oblige.
Several months ago I joined the Mountaineers. I've been learning how to alpine scramble. Scrambling is off-trail travel without roping up. I have learned all kinds of new skills. I've been hiking every weekend . . . yes, every weekend. I am having experiences that I never would have imagined. I've learned to love the outdoors. I feel fortunate to be outside seeing some of the most beautiful country in the northwest. I wish that Kurt could come with me. Kurt's knees go up hills, but aren't so great coming down them. So, I try to share all that I can about what I've done, what I've seen and what I still hope to do. I'm hoping to get Kurt out with a backpack so that we can do some simple backpacking and serious nature watching and much-needed alone time together this summer. Have you ever experienced living with someone and missing them at the same time? I feel that way with Kurt. We live in the same house, but we rarely get to spend time together.
Kurt is dedicated to his calling, his family and all of the challenges that come along. Kurt is the kind of guy that everyone loves. Kurt is a people-pleaser who takes little time for himself, but shares his time and talents with everyone else. We have seven children between us. Four children belong to Kurt and three are mine. My daughter Tonja lives in Utah. My son Chad is in Nebraska working for the summer. My son Brandon is finishing up spring quarter at Seattle Community College and then he'll be heading out to work for Suntrek Tours again this summer. Kurt's son Adam lives in Factoria. His son Aaron lives with Des Lewis in Kent. Rachel and Haleigh live with us. I miss my kids. Sometimes it's hard for me to stand back and watch them come to adulthood on their own. I'm at the age and stage of my life that I feel I need to do some living for myself. I need to move, I need to breathe, I need to celebrate the gifts in life that I've been given.

2 comments:

  1. That's a cute picture of you and Kurtis! I became a "follower" of your blog so I will be able to see whenever you've updated it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is this trail, maybe I can invite some people to do it sometime.
    Tell me a little bit about the area and what do people do there if you'd like.

    Thank you GabrielCoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete